Blog Post #4
A standard that stood out to me was “Demonstrate the use of healthy digital habits”. This is a standard that is going to be taught to 3rd graders. From my understanding, this standard will teach students when they should use technology and how many hours they should spend online. I think it is important for kids to learn at a young age how much time online is reasonable. We often see young kids spend hours on social media or watching videos. Teaching the students how this can be harmful and suggesting other ways to spend their time is important. I do feel like I am prepared to implement this standard because it is something my parents always talked to me about. I feel like I am well educated when it comes to the effects of being on an electronic device for hours or mindlessly scrolling.
I selected a 3rd grade mathematics course standard. The standard I selected gave me seven different lesson plans and one video. This website can be really helpful for teachers. When a teacher is struggling to find a video to show her class about a subject, they can simply go to the website and find one easily. This will save the teacher time and make it easier. These plans also provide teachers with different ideas of how to lay out their coursework. It gives teachers an idea of what they can do if they are stuck when it comes to a specific topic.
It is important for teachers to be proficient Internet searchers because it will help them do their job more efficiently. Being a good Internet searcher helps teachers because it allows them to quickly find what they are looking for. It is easy to search for hours and hours for a specific thing because you don’t know what to look up. I think I will use Google Images a lot more now. I honestly didn’t even know it was a thing. I struggle trying to find a picture that correlates to what I am talking about. Using Google Images will help me when making presentations or finding a photo that can help people understand.
I think using AI can be a good thing. It can help teachers get ideas when they are struggling to come up with stuff. AI can help teachers expand their lesson plans, and it can also give the teacher quick information about different topics. Although I think AI can be a good thing, I also think it can be a bad thing. I think AI will harm some students because of how easy it is to get it to do your work. Instead of the students actually learning the information, they can just go to AI for help.
I completely agree on the importance of teaching healthy digital habits to 3rd graders; helping them understand screen time balance is crucial for their development. Your resource for 3rd grade mathematics sounds invaluable, offering lesson plans and videos that can save teachers time and enhance student learning. Being proficient at online searching is indeed essential for teachers to find the right materials quickly. I share your view on AI; it can be a great tool for inspiration, but we must ensure it doesn't replace critical thinking skills. Striking a balance between leveraging technology and fostering deep engagement in learning is key for our students' success.
ReplyDelete