Blog Post #8
I learned a lot doing the Web Design assignment. I have never made a website before, so everything I did was pretty much learned. When making my website, I made sure I used the CRAP method. One big thing I used was repetition. I made sure that all of my headings and text were in the same font and style on each different page. Overall, I really liked this assignment, but I didn't really like Weebly. There were some things that I wasn’t able to do or edit that would have made my website look better. I think these website design skills will help when working on things other than websites. I think the CRAP rules can help when making presentations, newsletters, and websites.
You could use QR codes to send students to a practice quiz that asks questions about the lesson they just learned. This would also be beneficial for the teacher because they would be able to see what the students need more help on. You could also use QR codes to send students to an online classroom library. This would be helpful for students that want to or need to read the same book.
Case Study: Ethical Use of Technology for Teacher Productivity in a 5th Grade Classroom
Background: Ms. Johnson is a 5th-grade teacher at Maplewood Elementary. She has recently integrated technology into her classroom to improve productivity and enhance student learning. However, she faces challenges in ensuring that her use of technology aligns with ethical standards, particularly regarding student privacy and digital citizenship.
Scenario: At the beginning of the school year, Ms. Johnson implemented a new online grading system and a classroom management app that allows her to track student behavior and participation. While these tools streamline her workload, she becomes concerned about how the data collected might affect her students' privacy and their perceptions of being monitored.
Key Issues:
Student Privacy: The grading system collects data not just on grades but also on student interactions, attendance, and even assignments submitted. Ms. Johnson worries about how this data is stored and who has access to it.
Digital Citizenship: Ms. Johnson notices some students using their devices during class for non-educational purposes. She realizes the importance of teaching her students about responsible technology use, including how to recognize distractions and maintain focus.
Equity of Access: Not all students have the same access to technology at home. Ms. Johnson considers how to ensure that all students have equal opportunities to complete assignments and participate in online activities.
Actions Taken:
Privacy Education: Ms. Johnson holds a class discussion about data privacy. She explains how personal information is used and emphasizes the importance of protecting it. She also sends a letter home to parents outlining the measures taken to protect student data.
Digital Citizenship Curriculum: Ms. Johnson integrates a digital citizenship curriculum into her lessons, teaching students about responsible use of technology, including respecting others online, understanding digital footprints, and the importance of staying focused during class.
Technology Access Solutions: To address equity issues, Ms. Johnson collaborates with the school administration to secure additional devices for students who lack access at home. She also establishes a homework club that allows students to use school resources after hours.
Results: By the end of the semester, Ms. Johnson notices a positive shift in her classroom environment. Students become more aware of their digital footprints and demonstrate responsible technology use. The discussions about privacy lead to greater student trust and comfort in using the technology provided. Additionally, the availability of devices helps close the gap for students who previously struggled with access to online resources.
Conclusion: Ms. Johnson’s case highlights the importance of ethically integrating technology into education. By prioritizing student privacy, teaching digital citizenship, and ensuring equitable access, she not only enhances her productivity as a teacher but also fosters a responsible and inclusive learning environment for her 5th graders. This approach can serve as a model for other educators looking to ethically use technology in their classrooms.
In regards to the student’s using technology for non-educational purposes, I definitely think talking to the students about how it is wrong is the first thing to do, and then if it continues to happen, set a punishment that will happen if they are caught. I think the topic of student privacy is hard to address. I think announcing that the website is saving information is the first thing that needs to be done. I also think parents should have an option to opt-out of the online service. I believe this is an ethical solution because it gives the people an option. It is always best to let the people decide when it comes to things like this.

Hi Grace. I also used the CRAAP method. I found it very helpful when creating my website to keep it organized and appealing. I really like the idea of using QR codes to link practice quizzes, as this can be helpful for students before tests.
ReplyDeletehi, your website design for your classroom was super cute and organized. You did such an amazing job!
ReplyDeleteHi Grace! I loved the design of your website, everything was super uniform and easy to follow. I especially loved how there are multiple ways to get to a given page, so it's less likely people miss it!
ReplyDeleteHey Grace! After reviewing your website you did an exceptional job. It was organized, pretty and super aesthetically pleasing. Having everything in one section for the field trip is super smart; moreover, the hyperlinks at the end make the page very organized. Overall, great job!
ReplyDeleteI loved the layout of your website and thought it was organized well! Each tab showcased singificant information and the website was easily accessible.
ReplyDelete